Fruit and vegetable juices are not only very tasty, cool, and refreshing, but they rejuvenate and energize instantly as well. They are delicious and healthy at the same time. What is more, fruit juices can be easily made at home. You can even double or triple the health benefits by combining 2-3 different fruit and vegetable juices.
Fruits and vegetables have certain vitamins and minerals, which are not heat- or air-stable. For example, Vitamin C is lost when exposed to heat or air. Therefore, the best way to partake the benefits of most fruits and veggies is to have them in juice form, freshly made. Apart from that, if you were to take fruits and veggies in their natural form, you will not be able to consume as many of them as you can in the juice form and thus derive more benefits.
Beneficial Effects of Some Fruit and Vegetable Juices
Here are some fruit and vegetable juices and their benefits:
1. Apple Juice: It is not without reason that the old adage goes, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." Apple is so full of nutrients. It is rich in vitamin B and C, and also contain potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus in small amounts. It is rich pectin -- a natural, water-soluble substance which acts as fiberLD. Pectin helps lower the LDL cholesterol ("bad" cholesterol) by binding with cholesterol and fats before the body absorbs them. Apple juice has a calming and soothing effect, and helps in cleaning the digestive system. Apple juice is very beneficial during bouts of loose motions (diarrhea). It not only replenishes the lost electrolytes and the fluids, but also helps in solidifying the stool.
2. Grape Juice: Rich in vitamin B and C, grape juice also contains potassium, iodine, iron, copper, calcium in small amounts. It is rich in antioxidants that help in beating stress and flushing out toxins from the body. Grape juice is an instant refresher that energizes you. It has anti-aging properties, thus keeping the skin and organs youthful. It is also beneficial in conditions like constipation, stress, heart diseases, allergies, and gout.
3. Pomegranate Juice: Rich in antioxidants, pomegranate juice has been proven effective against cancer (more specifically, breast and prostate cancer) and in lowering LDL cholesterol ("bad" cholesterol). Pomegranate juice has three times more antioxidants per 100 ml than does red wine or green tea. The high antioxidant content not only helps to prevent hardening of the arteries (build up of plaque in the walls of arteries, known medically as atherosclerosis), but it may also reverse the progression of this disease. An animal study published in the journal Neurobiology of Disease also show that pomegranate juice may prevent or slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease.
4. Lemon Juice: These are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, helps improve the immunity of the body. It is also beneficial in weight loss and detoxification of the body.
5. Carrot Juice: Rich in beta-carotene, carrot juice is a storehouse of multiple vitamins and minerals such as vitamins B, C and K; potassium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, aluminum, sodium, manganese, iron, copper and a lot of other minerals. beta carotene is an excellent antioxidant and has anti-cancerous, anti-aging, and anti-inflammatory properties. Carrot juice helps in decreasing LDL cholesterol ("bad" cholesterol) and strengthens the blood vessels. Apart from that, it relieves spasm and helps in normalizing the digestive process. Taking carrot juice during pregnancy is very beneficial, as it helps in the fetal development.
6. Beet Root Juice: This contains vitamins B and C, potassium, manganese, and iron. It is a good stress buster as well as helps in weight loss and insomnia. The combination of carrot and beetroot juice makes it a good drink to keep the menopausal symptoms down in women.
7. Tomato Juice: Tomato juice is an appetite stimulator and helps in raising the metabolic rate and improving digestion, thus making it very helpful for weight loss. It is also a great source of lycopense, a plant pigment that has been extensively studied for its antioxidant and cancer-preventing properties, and give tomatoes their red color. A glass of tomato juice everyday can help to keep the stress levels low. However, tomato juice should be avoided by those who have kidney stones.
8. Cranberry Juice: Cranberry juice contain phytochemicals that can help in the prevention of many illnesses such as cardiac problems and cancer. It is a good remedy for urinary tract infection. However, cranberry juice should be avoided by those who have kidney stones as it is rich in oxalates.
9. Kiwi Juice: Kiwi juice is rich in vitamin C, iron, phosphorus, and potassium. It aids in digestion and can be helpful in conditions such as anorexia (decreased sensation of appetite) and anemia.
When we are so busy running around earning our "daily bread, butter, and cheese," let us not forget to include the "elixir of life," that fruit and veggie juices are, in our daily routine. Find some time to take at least two cups of juice during the day. Ideally, start your day with a fruit/vegetable juice.STAY HEALTHY......