There are hot springs from all over the world. These hot springs are of great importance to human beings not
only economically but also medically. This hot springs have been converted into spas for health purposes. A spa
town, or simply spa, is a town frequented mainly for health reasons, to “take the waters”. The word comes from
the Belgian town Spa. In continental Europe a spa was known as a ville d’eau (town of water). The term spa is
used for towns or resorts offering hydrotherapy which can include cold water or mineral water treatments and hot
Health Benefits from Spa
- It is good for paraplegic for its therapeutic effects (US President FD Roosevelt built the Little White House in Warm Springs, Georgia for his treatment)
- People believe that a good soak in hot springs heal aches, pains and diseases,
- It treats illnesses, such as arthralgia, chronic skin diseases, diabetes, constipation, menstrual disorders and so on.
- Balneotherapy (treatment of illness by bath) is good for circulatory, nervous, musculo-skeletal, gynecological and skin diseases
- Speleotherapy is good because the cool dust-free environment of local caves is said to benefit pulmonary diseases.
- Hydrotherapic baths are known for their healing powers for rheumatic, gynecologic and circulatory problems.
Few noticeable side effects of spa;
- Athlete’s foot fungal infection
- The Naegleria fowleri amoeba which lives in warm waters and soils worldwide and can cause meningitis. Several deaths have been attributed to this amoeba, which enters the brain through the nasal passages.
- Acanthamoeba, which can also spread through hot springs, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Legionella bacteria, which have been documented to spread through hot springs
- There is some suggestion that a bather’s toe was infected with herpes simplex virus from a hot spring in Japan.
To ensure a healthy bath the ff; are not allowed to bathe in a spa;
- people with open cuts
- people with sores and
- people with lesions
Alternative medicine or therapy is good as long as we are aware of its side-effects.