Jackfruit is the name of the fruit of ‘jackfruit’ tree, which belongs to the mulberry family. It is native to southwestern India, Bangladesh, Philippines, Sri Lanka and possibly, east of the Malay Peninsula. Mainly found to be cultivated in tropical conditions, jackfruit is said to be the largest tree-borne fruit in the world, with its diameter being at least 25 cm. on the other extreme, there can be jackfruits measuring as much as 36 kg in weight, 90 cm in length and 50 cm in diameter. The best part of the fruit is that even its seeds have been found to have a high nutritional value. If you want to know more about the health and nutrition benefits of eating jackfruit, browse further.
Nutritional Value of Jackfruit
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 100 gm of jackfruit:
- Sodium - 3 mg
- Total Carbohydrates - 24 g
- Dietary Fiber - 2 g
- Protein - 1 g
- Vitamin A - 297 IU
- Vitamin C - 6.7 mg
- Thiamin - 0.03 mg
- Riboflavin - 0.11 mg
- Niacin - 0.4 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.108 mg
- Folate - 14 mcg
- Calcium - 34 mg
- Iron - 0.6 mg
- Magnesium - 37 mg
- Phosphorus - 36 mg
- Potassium - 303 mg
- Sodium - 3 mg
- Zinc - 0.42 mg
- Copper - 0.187 mg
- Manganese - 0.197 mg
- Selenium - 0.6 mcg
- Total Fat - 0.3 mg
- Saturated Fat - 0.063 mg
- Monounsaturated Fat - 0.044 mg
- Polyunsaturated Fat - 0.086 mg
- Calories - 94
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Jackfruit
- Being rich in potassium, jackfruit has been found to be helpful in the lowering of blood pressure.
- The extract of Jackfruit root is believed to help cure fever as well as diarrhea.
- Jackfruit contains phytonutrients, with health benefits ranging from anti-cancer to antihypertensive.
- The root of this fruit has been found to be beneficial for those suffering from asthma.
- Jackfruit proves to be a very good source of vitamin C, which is known for its high antioxidant properties.
- The fruit contains isoflavones, antioxidants, and phytonutrients, all of which are credited for their cancer-fighting properties.
- Jackfruit is known to contain anti-ulcer properties and is also good for those suffering from indigestion.
- Boasting of anti-ageing properties, the fruit can help slow down the degeneration of cells and make the skin look young and supple.
- Jackfruit serves as a good supply of proteins, carbohydrates and vitamins, for the human body.
- It is believed that the fruit can help prevent and treat tension and nervousness.
- Since it contains few calories and a very small amount of fat, jackfruit is good for those trying to lose weight.
- If you are suffering from constipation, regular consumption of the fruit will surely prove beneficial.
- The root of jackfruit is said to be good for the treatment of a number of skin problems.
Reference: Health related books and articles