In order to cope with their stress, many people look to things that are not only ineffective but also unhealthy. Negative stress-management techniques include:
- Drinking alcohol
- Denying the problem
- Taking drugs
- Smoking cigarettes
Instead of these harmful techniques, why not try one of the following:
- Take a nap - 30 to 40 minutes' downtime will recharge your batteries.
- Get a massage - visit a professional massage therapist or ask a friend or partner.
- Express yourself artistically - divert your energies into something creative, such as acting, playing an instrument, writing poetry or singing.
- Have a laugh - not only will it make you feel better, it will make you look better too.
- Be gentle to yourself - we talk to ourselves all the time, even though we're not aware of it. This 'self-talk' determines our attitudes and self-image, so try to change both with a bit of positive chatter.