If you want to eat red meat for your protein requirement, ostrich meat is your healthy choice. Ostrich meat is a red meat that is nearly identical to beef in appearance, texture and taste but without the unhealthy qualities associated with beef. Ostrich meat is already a popular menu item at upscale restaurant worldwide; it will soon be "the premier red meat of the next century."
Ostrich meat is offered in a variety of cuts including tenderloin filets, steaks and ground. Ostrich meat can be prepared and enjoyed as you would in any of your favorite recipes calling for ground beef, pork, chicken or turkey.
Health Benefits of Ostrich meat:
- Ostrich has less than half the fat of chicken and two-thirds less fat than beef and pork.
- Ostrich has less cholesterol than beef, chicken, pork, or lamb
- Ostrich has less calories than beef, chicken, pork, turkey or lamb
- Ostrich has more iron than beef, chicken, pork, turkey or lamb. Its greater iron content is seen in the deeper red color of ostrich meat.
- Ostrich meat is naturally rich in protein and contains no marbled fat.
- Ostrich meat does not attract harmful bacteria like E-coli or salmonella because of ostrich's ideal pH balance.